Manual Install Instructions:
- The task tray is the area next to the clock on right side of your windows task bar.
When a tested update becomes available, an icon with a red asterisk () appears on your task tray. On Windows 7 or newer, the icon may be hidden so you
should periodically check for the icon by clicking the triangle or 'up arrow' on the
task tray as in this picture:
- Right-clicking the icon will present the option to display available updates. Selecting
this option will open Software Center. Change the top drop down to the right of 'SHOW'
and select 'Updates'. Here is an example showing some updates for Microsoft Office:
- Select the update(s) you wish to install by clicking the little box to the left of
the update. We reccomend you click the top check box on the left to select all available
updates. Below is an example with all of the updates selected.
- Click the Install button and the status should change from 'Available' to 'Preparing
for download' or 'Waiting to Install'. The list of updates being installed will also
move from the 'Available Software' tab to the 'Installation Status' tab as in this
- Updates will begin to install and their status will change to 'Preparing to download', 'Downloading', 'Installing', and then 'Installed'. If any updates need a Restart to complete installation, they will have a status of 'Requires Restart', as in the example below.
- If you had closed the updates window or choose to close instead of restarting, you
will know you need a restart by the modification to the icon in the task tray. The
software available icon () will now be a green icon (). Right click on this icon and you can select 'Restart Now', which will immediately
restart you computer and install updates. If you select 'Open Restart Window', you
will get a window similar to the below:
- Choose to restart your computer now and install the selected updates or be reminded
in a set number of hours. Be sure to save your other work, as selecting 'Restart
Now' will restart your computer.
If you see a status of "Failed" for any update, please submit a support case at https://support.csbs.utah.edu/helpdesk or call 801-585-8985.