Accessing your account's network storage space
Every CSBS account includes network file storage space. This network storage is backed up nightly, and those backups are retained for six months. If you ever need a file that you've saved to your network storage recovered from tape, submit a request to the helpdesk.
There are several ways to access your network storage. When you are off campus you can upload and dowload to and from your network storage using SFTP. If you are on campus, connected to the CSBS network, you can map your storage to a network drive on a PC or MAC.
PC (Windows 7)
If you use a Windows PC on campus that has been set up by CSBS Computing, your N: drive is automatically mapped to your network storage. This means that you can open and save files directly to your network storage as if you were using a hard drive inside your computer.
If you N: drive is not mapped automatically, you can follow the steps below to get connected.
- Select "Computer" from your Windows Start button (bottom left corner)
- Select "Map network drive" from the banner menu
- Select N: for "Drive:"
- Enter the following in the "Folder:" prompt:
(replace unid with your UNID)
- Check the box labeled "Connect using different credentials"
- Click Finish
- You will be promted for your username and password, modify your username by
appending @ad.csbs.utah.edu (i.e firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Enter your password and click OK
Your network storage should now be available as your N: drive.
Macintosh (OS X 10.8 or later)
Your network storage should be available when you log in to a Mac on the wired network. If you lose your network connection, you can manually re-connect using the following steps:
- From the "Go" menu, select "Connect to server".
- In the "Address" text box, type "smb://fs.csbs.utah.edu/unid" (without quotes, case sensitive, replacing unid with your UNID)
- Click "Connect"
- At the user name and password prompt, type your UNID and password.
- Click "OK"
In Finder and file selection dialogs, your network storage will appear as a drive labeled fs.csbs.utah.edu. This drive will contain a folder labeled with your UNID. You can open or save files directly to your network storage by choosing this folder when you prompted to open or save a file.