CSBS Computing offers a ‘helpdesk’ service staffed by six full time computer professionals and several part time assistants.
Helpdesk cases may be generated via the web at https://support.csbs.utah.edu/helpdesk or via phone at 801-585-8985.
All communication with the helpdesk is logged within each case. Users may add notes and attachments to their case via the website, or via replies to emails generated for each case. Cases are not closed until a full resolution is reached. Once a case is closed, users may reopen the case if something was missed or not resolved.
Every Friday our staff members meet to discuss the status of all open cases. This is intended to promote sharing of information and ensures cases are closed in a timely manner.
Users can submit feedback on each case, once it is closed. The information is used to improve our services.
Generally, cases are addressed in the order that they are received. However, users can specify a priority for each case they submit. A specified priority is taken in to consideration and weighed against existing cases for staff member response prioritization. Problems that affect the mission of the College (e.g., conducting classes, student lab facilities, or research) may take priority over other individual user problems
Some of the services offered by the helpdesk include:
- Answering IT related questions
- Troubleshooting computer problems
- Coordinating network changes
- Purchasing software
- Software installations/updates
- Purchasing hardware (Computers, Scanners, Printers, Network equipment, etc…)
- Installing and relocating hardware
- Coordinating with outside IT services
- Account maintenance (password changes, etc..)
- Storage management and quota support
- Minor website adjustments (development not supported)
- Instruction for IT related services
- Changes to current IT service offerings
Our staff can support a variety of technologies including but not limited to:
- Operating Systems:
- Windows (all versions)
- Mac OS X
- Sun Servers
- Cisco Network equipment
- SAN infrastructure
- Minor programming (Scripting)
- Networking (architecture and administration)
- Database (architecture and administration)
Some of the tools used by our support staff include:
- Teamviewer -- Where needed, our staff members can use a tool called ‘Teamviewer’. When troubleshooting problems or installing software, Teamviewer allows our staff members to connect to and see what’s on the screen of the computer they are working on.
- EnterpriseWizard -- The web based helpdesk interface. It is utilized for support case tracking, logged communication, and feedback.
- Symantec Ghost -- Ghost is used for computer operating system duplication and hard drive imaging.
- OCS -- OCS is our inventory software. It provides information about a computer’s hardware and software inventory. This information can expedite a resolution to support cases and provide work lists for updates.
- WSUS -- Windows update service for managing patching of Windows based operating systems
- Verdiem Surveyor -- Surveyor is used to manage the power management profiles on windows computers. Our staff can set schedules for machine power-ups/downs to facilitate patching and virus scanning while saving energy.
- Trendmicro Officescan -- Officescan is anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-malware software for windows workstations and servers
- Sophos Anti-virus -- Sophos is anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-malware software for mac workstations
- USMT -- Microsoft’s User State Migration Tool is used to transfer a users profile—their settings and documents—from one computer to another, usually when a computer is replaced/upgraded.
Helpdesk activity is summarized by month is published online at https://support.csbs.utah.edu/activity